Proverbs 24:12

"Once our eyes have been opened, we cannot pretend we do not know what to do. God, who weighs our hearts and keeps our souls, knows we know and holds us responsible to act." Proverbs 24:12

Friday, December 9, 2011

Preparations - of rooms, luggage and hearts

We are in the advanced stages of prep around here.  It's amazing to think that in week we'll be on our way to Elsa.  God is amazing in all that He is pulling together for us.  We are so grateful and blessed.  I know that I am probably taking some major theological leaps in what I share next, but my excuse is that I am not a theologian!  I had to smile today as I read my Bible.  "Fear not, for I am with you; I will bring your offspring from the east, and from the west I will gather you." (Isaiah 43:5)  I know the context has absolutely nothing to do with the Lindquist family adopting a daughter from China, but still I smiled. 

The piles have begun.  Piles of papers, clothes, airplane activities, diapers, wipes...... You name it, it's probably in a pile somewhere around here.  Those piles correspond to lists, lots of lists!  I take solace in the fact that if we are missing something, there are stores where we're headed.  Except the paperwork!  I can't leave a piece of that behind.  Our wonderful agency sent us a checklist, which I have checked and rechecked.  








Our itinerary is set.  We leave on Friday, December 16th and arrive in Hong Kong on December 17th.  That's a LONG trip. Then we fly to Nanning on Sunday, December 18th.  After settling into the hotel, we are off and running on Monday, December 19th to meet Elsa!  She officially becomes a Lindquist that day.  GOTCHA!!!  After a few more days of paperwork and sightseeing, we leave Nanning for Guangzhou on Friday, December 23rd.  Staying on Shiaman Island this time, we are excited to meet the many other adoptive families that will be there.  Christmas in China will be spectacular!  Elsa's first Christmas with us. Wow, what a gift.  There is also lots more paperwork and waiting while in Guangzhou before we can fly home on Friday, December 30th.  

This whole process has brought me so many gifts from God.  He has revealed Himself in new ways as His Spirit has guided, comforted and taught us about our Heavenly Father.  One thing that struck me the other day as I stared at our manger scene (insert above-mentioned theologian disclaimer here!) was that Jesus was adopted too.  While born of Mary, He was not Joseph's biological son.  This wonderful man willingly became Christ's earthly father, raising Him as God intended.  That makes me smile.  

He is preparing our hearts as we prepare our home for this new, little one.  I'm not sure she'll ever fully understand how much she was loved even before we actually set eyes on her.  We trust and pray that He is preparing her to be who she was born to be, Elsa Mei Yue Lindquist. We know there will be major adjustments all around as we get to know each other.  Language, food, smells, sounds.  Everything completely foreign to this little one.  God, grant us all patience, peace and immeasurable, unconditional love as we begin our new family life half-way around the globe.  He is faithful.  He will do it.

"I am the Lord; I have called you in righteousness; I will take you by the hand and keep you" Isaiah 42:6
"I am the Lord; that is My name; My glory I give to no other." Isaiah 42:8

Our prayer is that we will hold tightly to the hand of the One who is faithful and true.  He has set this in motion and He will accomplish His plan.  We pray that His name is glorified and lifted up.  None of this is done in our own strength.  We are not foolish enough to believe that we could do any of this without Him.  Resting our hope in God, we look forward with great anticipation for what He will do in the three short weeks ahead as we go out as six and return as seven.  Praise His holy name!

1 comment:

  1. Kirstin, I'm so excited for you and your family. May you have a wonderful trip and first Christmas with Elsa! Look forward to an update and pictures at our new WCAA board meeting. Many blessings!

    ReplyDelete